Follow me!

Monday, November 18, 2013

MIMM: Staying positive and stepping out of my comfort zone

After last week's onslaught of disappointment, both within my own personal life and hardships of others close to me, I'm really trying to keep my chin up and appreciate what I have. I've also been making a point to step out of my comfort zone in a number of ways and, awkward as it feels and sounds, feel comfortable with my discomfort. I guess in my mind, discomfort means progress, and that should instill a comforting feeling.

A few highlights of the past week are making for a Marvelous Monday:

  • Today was freakishly warm and sunny for mid-November in RI. The forecast was calling for heavy wind and rain, so this was an extra special treat. I embraced the opportunity for a walk to have a much needed vent session with my co-worker. Perfect.

Quest delivery! LOVE this company.
  • I won a 12 flavor sampler pack of Quest bars from BusyBod's blog giveaway. To my surprise, they arrived with an extra three bars--the elusive cookie dough, white chocolate raspberry and double chocolate chunk flavors--and TWO packages of Quest Cravings Protein Peanut Butter Cups!!! I've been trying to find these EVERYWHERE and cannot wait to try them.
Note: I had every intention of microwaving one of these bars for my post-yoga meal tonight, making for an extra amazing end to my Monday, but I had a serious salt craving. Dinner was far too many carrots with about half a tub of garlic hummus, a lavash wrap with a Laughing Cow light swiss wedge and strawberry preserves, and a mini bag of popcorn with nutritional yeast. Yeah, portion control is not one of my strengths.

  • I successfully grabbed my toes from behind my head in dancer's pose tonight during hot yoga on both sides! So happy!
  • Last night, I made an incredible and super easy dinner that everyone else enjoyed just as much. (Let it be known that never happens.)  
    Baked chicken breast with roasted grapes & red onion and garlic roasted asparagus
Totally random recipe, but it was a success! My sister's boyfriend went home and asked if his mom could make it sometime haha. I also baked a batch of snickerdoodles.

Note: I consumed about 3x that much asparagus and finished off my mom's piece of chicken. Further evidence of my terrible portion control lol.

Chicken Breast with Roasted Grapes:

  • 1 - 1.5lb seedless red grapes
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 T olive oil
  • salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425F. 

Toss grapes (removed from stems) and onion with the olive oil and a little salt & pepper. Pour into a baking dish and roast for 15 minutes.

Remove baking dish from the oven, mashing about half of the grapes to release juice and stir. Place chicken breasts on top and return to oven at 450F for 45-55 minutes, until chicken is cooked all the way through.

Serve chicken with sauce poured over the top.



Thanks, Katie, as always, for hosting MIMM!

No comments:

Post a Comment