Follow me!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Apple bread fail

Just stopping in for a quick post before my usual hectic Tuesday schedule of work followed by a trek to Federal Hill to host trivia. At least I'm in at 10am today, so my first day back after a long weekend is a mere 13 (so I hope) hours rather than 14 or 15. Big props to the coffee manufacturers on days like today.

Yesterday was entirely uneventful. I had intentions of going out to look for new boots, but ended up staying at home all afternoon because 1) I'm lazy and 2) it's better that I save my money right now.

I had some apples in the fridge that were losing their appeal for raw snackage, so I thought, "Why not whip up some apple bread?" Cue Google. I came across this recipe from Southern Plate and figured it looked simple and delicious enough. Any recipe that only requires one bowl is for me. I also added a granola and cinnamon sugar topping to the top of the bread.
As evidenced by the final product, it was not such a success. When I took it out of the oven, the toothpick came out clean and it seemed done from the outside. Yeah, not the case. Apparently the inside wasn't cooked. Sigh, and usually I'm such a great baker. My family agreed it was still delicious, but more cake-like than bread-like. I think next time I use this recipe, I'll bake it in 8x8 square baking dish instead. 

Southern Plate's Amazing Apple Bread

Ingredients:

  • 3-4 medium apples, peeled and diced (about two cups)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups self rising flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 cup cinnamon or oats & honey granola (optional)
  • 1 - 2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar (optional)

Instructions

  1. Peel and dice apples, place in large mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, milk, vanilla, and sugar. Stir with a large spoon until well blended.
  2. Add flour, cinnamon, and allspice. Stir again until well combined.
  3. Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray and spoon batter into pan. Sprinkle granola and cinnamon sugar on top, if desired.
  4. Bake at 350 for one hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  5. Allow to cool in pan for five minutes. Turn out.


Anyway, time to head off to work. It's snowing right now in Pawtucket, but it doesn't seem to be sticking. I am so not ready for winter! Breaking out the trusty Northface today and hoping that the temperatures don't stay in the mid-30s all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment