Follow me!

Friday, December 6, 2013

Friday Five: Christmas Movie Edition

Part of me dreads Christmas, solely because it means that winter is just beginning and temperatures are going to continue to drop over the next few months. I'm just not made for New England weather. 

December itself isn't so bad, what with all the holiday parties and baking cookies (hooray for warm ovens!). And it's totally socially acceptable to stay in and watch Christmas specials. 

So without further ado, I'll let you in on my personal top 5 Christmas movies:

A Christmas Story

A classic. Everyone knows and loves this movie. If you don't share this opinion, you obviously:
  1. Haven't seen this movie because you don't have cable and have never been subjected to the 24-hour marathon TBS runs every year, or
  2. Have no sense of humor whatsoever.


Just Friends

This movie does not get the exposure or credit it deserves as a Christmas movie. Ryan Reynolds is, as always, hilarious. Even more so because he spends about 1/6th of the movie in a fat suit. I mean, come on, the movie opens with him lip-syncing "I Swear" by Boyz II Men. Why would anyone not want to watch this every year?


Elf

A newer classic Christmas comedy that everyone knows and loves, with the exception of those few people who just don't appreciate Will Ferrell for his ad-libbing talent. Anything I can and would say about this movie is already well-known by most, so I won't get into details. I will, however, share this awesome BuzzFeed article on some things you probably don't know about this movie.

Love Actually

The cutest "I love you" ever.
This movie has everything you could want in a movie: an all-star cast, awkward situations, romance, drama, and Keira Knightly. I have a hardcore girl crush on her. No shame. Again, totally underrated.


The Family Stone

Basically take everything I said about Love Actually and apply it to this movie, replacing Keira Knightly with Claire Danes AND Rachel McAdams. Side note - it's so unfair that I don't look like them. This is usually the first holiday movie I watch each year. I hate that no one seems to know about it. I will say, however, that it's much harder to watch it since my dad passed away. Without getting into detail and spoiling the movie, I do feel like I can relate to it more now and it never fails to make me cry. And I am no crier. Further evidence that this movie is fantastic and that you need to watch it immediately.

Obviously I'm a fan of comedies.

So there you have it. My top 5 Christmas movies, in no particular order. Now start watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment