Follow me!

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Random product reviews: You should try this because it's awesome

Last week I was scrolling through my photo stream on my iPhone and came across a ton of pictures I'd snapped of random healthy food finds that I tried and enjoyed. I think credit should always be given when it is due, so I thought it was appropriate to sing each company's praise in a blog post. And now we're here!

Dr. McDougall's Black Bean & Lime soup is perfect for days when I don't have time to actually make a lunch for work. All you need is hot water and some patience (it takes a few minutes for the dried black beans to soften up), and voila! a filling, delicious lunch. The flavor of this soup is great. It comes with a zesty lime flavor packet that you mix in with the dried black beans before filling the cup up to the line with boiling water, and you just toss the container when you're done. I try to stock up when these go on sale, though it's under $2 so definitely a more affordable, healthier lunch than you'd get at Subway. I've also tried the split pea and barley soup, which is equally tasty and nutritious. I'm dying to try some of the newer products from the line: Pistachio Citrus Quinoa Salad and Butternut Azteca Soup especially caught my eye.

 I won a jar of Nikki's Coconut Butter a while back in a blog giveaway...I wish I could remember which blog, but when I saw "a while back" I mean a year ago (far before I had a blog and could formally tell the internet how much I love this stuff). Nikki's has so many awesome flavors: Honey Pecan Pie, Midnight Mocha, Chocolate Hazelnut Brownie, Macademia Nut Cookie, Pumpkin Spiced Donut (seasonal), and Vanilla Cake Batter, which is the flavor I chose. Let me tell you, the flavor was spot on. I could literally eat this stuff with a spoon, but I retrained myself and instead drizzled it over oatmeal and on rice cakes or lavash bread with jam. I am dying to try their other flavors at some point, but right now I'm not in a position to spend $13 on a jar :(

A few weeks ago, I was browsing around The Good Seed Market and noticed Kevita in the fridge. I asked the owner and her sister if they'd tried it, and they happened to be drinking the Daily Cleanse (pictured above) as we spoke, and highly recommended it. Since I love cayenne pepper and lemon, I went with their suggestion and was not disappointed. 

I should disclose that I am a chugger. I drink everything in gulps - hot tea, coffee, seltzer water included. This stuff is definitely made for sipping. I coughed a little from the cayenne on the initial taste. I must have been overzealous. They have a whole slew of interesting flavors that I want to try, especially the Mojita and Strawberry Acai Coconut. Lucky for me (and you), there is a coupon for $1.50 a bottle on coupons.com this week. I highly recommend printing one out and running to Whole Foods, or the Good Seed Market if you're lucky enough to live in the RI/MA area, to try Kevita.

Excuse the crappy picture above of my new favorite Quest bar flavor. It was taken post-yoga while waiting for my mom's car to be ready at Tire Pros. I know everyone raves about the chocolate chip cookie dough and double chocolate chunk flavors, and I am completely of the same opinion. That being said, coconut cashew is BOMB. Such a unique flavor, great texture, and stellar nutrition facts, all as to be expected from Quest bars. I was really shocked by how great this bar was without being warmed in the microwave prior to consumption. I think I actually prefer it as is. I still have yet to try the Quest Cravings Peanut butter cups or the new cookies & cream bar. I need to step up my Quest hunting game. Lovelovelove Quest.

Make sure you check out these companies and their products. Consider it proof that nutritious food can be delicious, and can even taste like your favorite dessert.

2 comments:

  1. Kevita is always on sale somewhere! I too am a chugger with everything, which is fine with water and such but not so much with alcohol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried any other flavors of Kevita? Curious about how they are compared to the Cleanse flavor.

      Delete